Mrs. Bernadette Miglin, Ed.S, Principal
“Our mission is to embrace, nurture and educate all God’s children, preparing them for lives of service and leadership rooted in the gospel values of faith, hope and love.”
From the Principal's Desk
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome back to the 133rd year of excellence at St. Nicholas School.We have many plans for the upcoming school year:
- St. Nicholas School has been invited to participate in an exciting pilot program to measure student growth and proficiency—and provide insights to help tailor instruction for each student. Through the Archdiocese of Newark’s affiliation with NWEA’s MAP Growth program, interim assessments in Reading, Language Arts, Math, and Science will determine student progress. When paired with Classworks on-line software, teachers will be provided with individualized digital learning paths that include instruction, practice activities, and assessment. Each student will be challenged at their own level and progress individually. The first year will include Grades 3-5, and we anticipate further rollout of the program in subsequent years.
- We will continue our partnership with William Paterson University’s Professors in Residence Program. Through this program, professors in Science/STEM and English Language Arts will work with our teachers to ensure the most up-to-date teaching methods are used to engage and develop our students.
- In conjunction with our STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program, a new Maker Space classroom has been created adjacent to the science lab. The Maker Space has been outfitted with Chomebooks, robotics, circuit boards, a 3D printer, and many other tools to engage students. All students in grades K-8 will enjoy weekly lessons in ‘making’ solutions to design challenges as a team. High tech and low tech will be incorporated into the program which requires students to ‘think outside the box’ in developing solutions to problems and challenges posed by teachers.
- St. Nicholas is participating in the Archdiocese of Newark schools STEM initiative which will provide increased professional development for teachers as well as participation in the Archdiocese-wide STEM Engineering Fair. This program focuses on projects related to The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. As you may know, our students were coached to gold, silver, and bronze awards for the last three years in the Hudson County STEM Showcase, and we anticipate more success this year - thank you Mrs. Millan!
- Two Robotics Teams have been established: Junior High and our 'Junior' Team. The teams are part of the FIRST Lego League (FIRST Lego League). The ‘FIRST’ organization was established with the mission: …”to inspire students to be science and technology leaders and innovators, …by engaging them in programs that foster …self-confidence, communication, and leadership”. The teams will be 'traveling to space', and we are excited to be a part of this!
- Technology offerings continue to be enhanced. We completed our program to provide new Internet accessible Smartboards in all classrooms which allows teachers to bring the world into their lessons. PreK students enjoy the addition of iPads on a weekly basis which allows them to practice their numeracy and literacy skills. Students in K-8 receive weekly technology lessons and additional technology infusion opportunities to develop 21st Century technology skills.
- The buildings are outfitted throughout with Verizon Fios Internet service along with new high-speed Internet access points. The school’s technology infrastructure will be further enhanced this year by partnering with Future Generation, Inc. to identify additional opportunities for improvement.
- Junior High teachers will continue to integrate the use of Chromebooks and Google Suite for Education software into our Science/STEM, Technology, and English Language Arts program. Knowledge of these skills and the related applications are essential for today’s 21st Century learner as they prepare for the challenges of high school and beyond.
- The Junior High Chromebook program is now enhanced with a second set of Chromebooks. A third set of Chromebooks will be added for our English Language Arts program making our Junior High essentially a ‘One-to-One’ Chromebook program.
- Security concerns are on everyone’s mind and so we are creating a locked interior vestibule at the front entrance which allows increased control over who enters when the buzzer releases the Main Entrance door lock. Sometimes referred to as a ‘mantrap’, a second set of security doors is becoming the standard for K-12 school entry because of the increased security features provided.
- We will continue our emphasis on student service to others. Our Student Council, National Junior Honor Society, and teachers will organize a variety of service projects to assist the homeless and needy families in Jersey City, St. Jude Children’s Hospital, the Hudson County Animal Shelter, the missions, and a number of other projects as we have always done.
Our school mission, ‘..to embrace, nurture, and educate all God’s children preparing them for lives of service and leadership’ is alive at St. Nicholas School!
Parents interested in registering, please call for your registration materials and to schedule your tour today - 201-659-5948.
Have a great day!