Mrs. Bernadette Miglin, Ed.S, Principal
“Our mission is to embrace, nurture and educate all God’s children, preparing them for lives of service and leadership rooted in the gospel values of faith, hope and love.”
From the Principal's Desk
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to St. Nicholas School for our 136th year of excellence. Some may wonder 'why a Catholic school'? Please see this video for an answer: Why Catholic Schools
After much discussion and work, our School Reopening Plan is posted here: Return To School Plan Parents. We worked through the summer to 're-engineer' school to allow for a safe In Person learning option that is LIVE as of September 9th. Many modifications including smaller class sizes, continuous air flow in all classrooms, plastic barriers, daily health checks, frequent handwashing, and social distancing are in place.
School Calendar is posted below.
Regarding our regular school program, 2020-2021 please see the following highlights:
- We have continued our partnership with William Paterson University’s Professors in Residence Program. Through this program, professors in Science/STEM, English Language Arts, and Writing work with our teachers to ensure the most up-to-date teaching methods are used to engage and develop our students.
- St. Nicholas School will continue to use NWEA’s MAP Growth program which provides, interim assessments in Reading, Language Arts, Math, and Science to help determine student progress. When paired with Classworks' on-line software, students are provided with individualized digital learning paths that include instruction, practice activities, and assessment. Each student is challenged at their own level and progress accordingly.
- In conjunction with our STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program, we are continuing to build out our new Maker Space classroom and Science Lab on a rotating weekly basis by grade. We are also using our partnership with William Paterson University to provide teachers with the very best in Professional Development to ensure students receive the maximum benefit from the program. See our Facebook page for pictures of our future scientists in action: https://www.facebook.com/StNicholasSchoolJC/
Students in grades K-8 will continue to enjoy lessons in STEM ‘making’ solutions to design challenges as a team. High tech and low tech will be incorporated into the program which requires students to ‘think outside the box’ in developing solutions to problems and challenges posed by teachers.
- St. Nicholas continues to participate in the Archdiocese of Newark schools STEM initiative which provides increased professional development for teachers as well as participation in the Archdiocese-wide STEM Engineering Fair. This program focuses on projects related to The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. As you may know, our students were coached to gold, silver, and bronze awards in the Hudson County STEM Showcase and were chosen to display their projects at the Archdiocese of Newark's NCEA/STEM Conference.
- Technology offerings continue to be enhanced. We have implemented to a one-to-one program of chromebooks for all students in Grades 4-8 along with Google Suite for Education/Google Classroom.
This program enhances student learning and provide access to web-based textbooks and materials as part of our science, social studies, and language arts programs. PreK students enjoy the addition of iPads on a weekly basis which allows them to practice their numeracy and literacy skills. Students in K-8 receive weekly technology lessons and additional technology infusion opportunities to develop 21st Century technology skills.
- Our Distance Learning Program implemented due to the COVID19 school closing emergency is composed of a robust and effective instructional program that includes the use of Google Classroom, Google Meet, YouTube videos, customized teacher lesson videos, Classworks, IXL, and a host of other teacher-driven technologies designed to keep students learning. Many parents praised the depth of the Spring/2020 Distance Learning program, especially when compared to other parent experiences they were aware of. This difference was created by the dedication of our teachers and our investment in technology that resulted in uninterrupted learning for the students at St. Nicholas School and will include full day lesson streaming for Fall/2020.
- We will continue our emphasis on student service to others. Our Student Council, National Junior Honor Society, and teachers organized a variety of service projects to assist the homeless and needy families in Jersey City, St. Jude Children’s Hospital, the Hudson County Animal Shelter, the missions, St. Paul's Food Pantry, and a number of other projects as we have always done.
- Extracurricular programs include tap, ballet, chess, and coding club. The sports program which has always included basketball and volleyball is under review for fall/2020.
- Because academics is our core focus, our 8th graders are routinely accepted to McNair Academic, St. Peter's Prep, High Tech High School, County Prep High School, and Hudson Catholic High School. The journey begins at St. Nicholas where relationships form that last a lifetime!
Our school mission, ‘..to embrace, nurture, and educate all God’s children preparing them for lives of service and leadership’ is alive at St. Nicholas School!
If you need more, please click here to see the difference that a Catholic school can make in the life of your child:
Please call for your registration materials and to schedule your tour today - 201-659-5948.
Have a great day!
Tentative Calendar 2021: 2020 2021 Calendar