Mrs. Bernadette Miglin, Ed.S, Principal
“Our mission is to embrace, nurture and educate all God’s children, preparing them for lives of service and leadership rooted in the gospel values of faith, hope and love.”
From the Principal's Desk
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome back to St. Nicholas School for our 134th year of excellence. Here are some things we are looking forward to this year:
- We will continue our partnership with William Paterson University’s Professors in Residence Program. Through this program, professors in Science/STEM and English Language Arts work with our teachers to ensure the most up-to-date teaching methods are used to engage and develop our students.
- St. Nicholas School will continue to use NWEA’s MAP Growth program which provides, interim assessments in Reading, Language Arts, Math, and Science to help determine student progress. When paired with Classworks' on-line software, students are provided with individualized digital learning paths that include instruction, practice activities, and assessment. Each student is challenged at their own level and progress accordingly.
- In conjunction with our STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program, we are continuing to build out our new Maker Space classroom which is adjacent to the science lab. New floors, dry erase boards and thousands of dollars in supplies have been made possible through a grant from the federal government. We are also using our partnership with William Paterson University to provide teachers with the very best in Professional Development to ensure students receive the maximum benefit from the program.
- Students in grades K-8 will continue to enjoy weekly lessons in ‘making’ solutions to design challenges as a team. High tech and low tech will be incorporated into the program which requires students to ‘think outside the box’ in developing solutions to problems and challenges posed by teachers. Link to our Facebook page to see our students in action: https://www.facebook.com/StNicholasSchoolJC/?ref=bookmarks
- St. Nicholas will continue to participate in the Archdiocese of Newark schools STEM initiative which provides increased professional development for teachers as well as participation in the Archdiocese-wide STEM Engineering Fair. This program focuses on projects related to The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. As you may know, our students were coached to gold, silver, and bronze awards in the Hudson County STEM Showcase and were chosen to display their projects at the Archdiocese of Newark's NCEA/STEM Conference in June.
- Technology offerings continue to be enhanced. We are now moving to a one-to-one program of chromebooks for all students in Grades 5-8 along with Google Suite for Education/Google Classroom.
- This program enhances student learning and provide access to web-based textbooks and materials as part of our science, social studies, and language arts programs. PreK students enjoy the addition of iPads on a weekly basis which allows them to practice their numeracy and literacy skills. Students in K-8 receive weekly technology lessons and additional technology infusion opportunities to develop 21st Century technology skills.
- We have created a locked interior vestibule at the front entrance which allows increased control over those entering the building by requiring a 2nd security clearance. New panic-bars have been installed on the hallway entrances to the classroom areas, and new classroom doors will be installed this school year in addition to the installation of hardened glass on exterior doors.
- We will continue our emphasis on student service to others. Our Student Council, National Junior Honor Society, and teachers organized a variety of service projects to assist the homeless and needy families in Jersey City, St. Jude Children’s Hospital, the Hudson County Animal Shelter, the missions, St. Paul's Food Pantry, and a number of other projects as we have always done.
- Our 8th graders were accepted to McNair Academic, St. Peter's Prep, High Tech High School, Hudson Catholic High School, and Marist High Schools. Congratulations to one and all as you begin the next part of your journey!
Our school mission, ‘..to embrace, nurture, and educate all God’s children preparing them for lives of service and leadership’ is alive at St. Nicholas School!
If you need more, please click here to see the difference that a Catholic school can make in the life of your child:
Parents interested in registering, please call for your registration materials and to schedule your tour today - 201-659-5948.
Have a great day!
2019 2020 Calendar